Great Day Kitchen, 8/2/18 - Busy Breakfast, Crock Pot Chicken
FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) —
1. Peach pie Parfait
Tawnie Kroll, Registered Dietitian from krollskorner.com, visited the Great Day Kitchen to show us some healthy dishes.
Click here to follow Tawnie on Facebook.
CROCK POT TOMATO BALSAMIC CHICKEN
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper To Taste
- Pour olive oil on the bottom of the slow cooker and add chicken, salt and pepper.
- Placed onion on top of chicken followed by the dried herbs and garlic cloves.
- Pour in the vinegar & top with tomatoes.
- Cook on high for 4 hours and serve over angel hair pasta.
ONE POT BROCCOLI BACON ALFREDO
- 1 pound Penne Pasta, Uncooked
- 6 cloves Garlic, Peeled And Minced
- 1 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 cups Water
- 1 head Broccoli, Trimmed And Cut Into Bite-Sized Florets
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cups Grated Parmesan Cheese Plus More For Serving
- Add pasta, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and water to a large skillet. Bring the pan to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta, stirring constantly, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add broccoli and butter and cook, stirring constantly for another 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to low and mix thoroughly.
- Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Mix in bacon crumbles and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with more cheese if desired.
BREAKFAST FOR THE BUSY MOM – MAKE AHEAD MASON JAR BREAKFAST PARFAITS
1. Peach pie Parfait
- Yogurt, peaches, graham cracker crumbs, oatmeal (uncooked).
- Directions: stir together oatmeal with yogurt, and then layer ingredients in mason jar.
2. Berry Granola Parfait
- Yogurt, fresh berries(strawberries, blueberries), granola
- Layer accordingly
3. Pina Colada Parfait
- Toasted coconut, pineapple, coconut yogurt, oatmeal
- Mix oatmeal in with yogurt and layer remaining ingredients
MAKE AHEAD BREAKFAST BAKE
- 12 ounces sausage (casing removed)*
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (any)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Spray a 7x11 or 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage. If you are using fully cooked sausage, you may skip this step. I like to brown my sausage just a little bit, even if it is already fully cooked. Spoon the browned sausage evenly into prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
- Add a little olive oil to the same large skillet (I use about 2 teaspoons since there is some grease left from the sausage). Sauté the garlic, spinach, peppers, and onion until vegetables are tender and spinach is wilted, about 6-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper during the last minute or so. Add the cooked vegetable mixture to the sausage in the prepared casserole dish and roughly stir together to distribute mixture evenly. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and a little more salt and pepper. Cover casserole dish with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- When you are ready to bake the casserole: preheat the oven to 375F and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until edges start to brown. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Reheat individual servings in the microwave as needed. Baked casserole may be frozen, up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
- To make ahead/freeze this casserole: you can freeze unbaked casserole up to 2 months. Cover very tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and continue with step 5