Great Day Kitchen, 5/24/18 - Sweet Potato Waffles / Heirloom Tomato Salad
Chef Aaron Nielsen with Southern Hospitality Company Special Events & Catering visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food and promote his series of pop up dinner events.
Event: Chef Aaron Nielsen and Bitwise Industries Presents $65 Pop Up Dinner Series.
Click here for tickets and information.
Sweet Potato Waffles with Bourbon Maple Syrup
- 2 1/2 cups Sweet Potato Puree (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups ALL Purpose Flower
- 1/8 cup of Sugar
- 3/4 cup of Corn Starch
- 1/8 cup of Corn Meal
- 3 teaspoons Bakeing Powder
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 200 milliliter of Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 6 Egg Whites
- First thing you want to do is cook your sweet potatoes till they are fork tender all the way through, once that is done and the potato purée is cooled off you can proceed with the recipe.
- Sift together all dry ingredients
- Then add the wet ingredients EXCEPT FOR THE EGG WHITES, and mix thoroughly, Set this mixture aside and begin to beat the egg whites till they come to a medium peak.
- Once the egg whites are stiff gently begin to fold in the egg whites into your batter.
- Now you are ready to add about 3/4 cup of the mixture to a hot waffle iron and about 4 minutes later your ready to go.
Bourbon Maple Syrup
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch star anise
- In a small sauce pan add the bourbon, cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise
- Allow the bourbon come to a simmer to cook out the alcohol
- Add the maple syrup
- Allow to come back up to a simmer
- Strain out the aromatics and enjoy
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Chive Vinaigrette, Black-eyed Peas, Bacon, & Crispy Okra
- 1/2 cup Chopped Chives
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 cup Blended Oil (olive oil and canola oil blend)
- 1 clove roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender blend all ingredients except for the oil
- Once the mixture is thoroughly blended slowly begin to add your oil a drop at a time.
- The mixture will thicken and you can continue to drizzle the oil into the blender
- Once you have a smooth emulsion, season to taste.
- Warning if the mixture becomes too hot in the blender the oil will separate and the vinaigrette will break.