Great Day Kitchen, 5/23/17 - Summer Seamless
Registered dietitian nutritionist for Clovis Unified School District and krollskorner.com, Tawnie Kroll, visited the Great Day Kitchen to talk about the Clovis Unified School District's Summer Seamless program, providing breakfast and lunch to children over the summer break.
Tawnie also showed us how to prepare some delicious snacks.
Alfredo Bagel Bites
- 6, 100% whole wheat mini bagels
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange bagel halves, insides facing up on sheet.
- Steam cauliflower for 3 minutes in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower to a blender. Add yogurt, salt, garlic and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Puree until smooth.
- Spread cauliflower-yogurt Alfredo sauce evenly on bagels. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until tops are golden. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Just fill up ice cream cones with assorted fresh fruit. You can even dip the cones in chocolate, or serve with Greek yogurt. Fun way for kids to consume fresh fruit while having fun!
Apple Peanut Butter Disks AKA Apple UFOs!
- 2 Granny Smith Apple, thinly sliced & cored.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup creamy Peanut butter
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Toss the apple slices in lemon juice as soon as they are sliced and cored to prevent browning. Top each with 2 tsp. peanut butter and a few dried cranberries. Enjoy!
Homemade Strawberry Fruit Leather
Prep the Pan:
- Preheat your oven to 150F (or as low as your oven will go).
- Line an 11-by-17 cookie sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper.
Prep the Fruit:
- Wash, dry, and cut up four cups of strawberries (or other in-season fruit of your choice, such as peaches, bananas, or raspberries; frozen fruit works, too).
- Place in a food processor or blender and puree until completely smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Pour pour the pureed fruit onto the prepared pan.
- Use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Carefully slide the pan into the oven, and bake for eight hours (or six to seven hours if your oven is at a slightly higher temperature).
- Remove the pan once the fruit is set and still slightly tacky.
- Be careful not to overcook, as you'll end up with fruit chips instead of fruit leather.
- Once the fruit has cooled to room temperature, slowly peel it off the mat or parchment paper.
- Lay it on a cutting board, and use a knife to cut out portions; store in an airtight container.
50 Calories and Under
- Babybel Light cheese
- 1/2 banana
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 5 almonds
- Handful of baby carrots with 2 T salsa
- Bell pepper strips with 1 T hummus
- Celery sticks with one Laughing Cow cheese wedge
100 Calories and Under
- Horizon Part Skim String Cheese
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 mini-snack box of Sun-Maid Yogurt Raisins
- 2 cups of Vic’s Lite Prepopped Popcorn
- Glenny’s Low Fat Soy Crisps (around 15 crisps)
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt with 2 tsp strawberry jam
- 3 cups air-popped popcorn, lightly salted
- 1 Laughing Cow Light cheese wedge with three Triscuits
- 1/2 whole-wheat mini bagel with 1 oz smoked salmon
- 29 pistachio nuts
200 Calories and Under
- 1 container of Fage Total 0% Yogurt with 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1/4 cup Bear Naked Pecan Apple Flax trail mix
- 1 small bag of Beanitos Black Bean Chips with Chipotle BBQ
- 1 Quaker Banana Nut soft baked oatmeal cookie
- 1 serving SunRidge Farms Vanilla Chai Raisins
- 6-oz container Fage Greek Total nonfat yogurt, 2 tsp honey, and two chopped walnuts
- Kashi Soft n’ Chewy Banana Chocolate Chip bar
- 3 Lucy’s gluten-free Maple Bliss cookies
- 1 oz prosciutto and four figs
Participating Summer Schools