Great Day Kitchen, 1/23/18 - Vegan poppers & cheeseburger tater tots
FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) —
Chef Ashley Hankins-Marchetti, creator of the “Eat Figs, Not Pigs” blog, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious vegan food.
Click here to learn more about Eat Figs, Not Pigs.
Click here to follow on Facebook.
Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
- 15 jalapeno peppers (plump)
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (plain, dry)
- Slice jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds.
- Combine the cream cheese and Cheddar, mixing until well blended.
- Fill the jalapeno pepper halves with cream cheese mixture and press halves back together.
- Put non-dairy milk in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the salt and flour in a shallow bowl.
- Put bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the peppers in the milk, then in the flour, coating thoroughly.
- Set them on a sheet of foil or waxed paper to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Dip the medium-high the milk again, then in the breadcrumbs.
- Let them dry again for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If necessary, dip again lightly in the milk and again in the bread crumbs and let dry again.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in deep fryer to 370 F.
- Deep fry the breaded jalapeno peppers in batches for about 3 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Transfer jalapeno poppers to paper towels to drain and cook. Serve hot.
Vegan Cheeseburger Tater Tot Bites
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 TBS sweet pickle relish
- 1 TBS dill pickle juice
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 48 frozen tater tots
- 12 oz vegan ground beef crumbles
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds of your choice (we used Daiya brand)
- 2 TBS vegan mayo
- 2 TBS ketchup
- 2 TBS yellow mustard
- 2 TBS pickle relish
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Red onion
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Brown vegan beef crumbles with oil in a skillet over medium-high heat according to package directions.
- Off heat, add 1/2 vegan cheese shreds, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, and pickle relish to the ground beef and stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Grease a muffin pan and place three tater tots in each cup. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove the muffin pan from the oven and use a tamper to press the tater tots down into each cup. This will create a tater tot cup.
- Fill the tater tots with the vegan crumble mixture and top with additional 1/2 cheese shreds.
- Place the tater tots back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the cheeseburger tots from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
- While the cheeseburger tots cool mix together all of the special sauce ingredients.
- Drizzle the special sauce over the cheeseburger tots and top with mini pickle slices.