Great Day Kitchen, 12/28/17 - Vegan French Toast & Omelette
Chef Ashley Hankins-Marchetti, creator of the “Eat Figs, Not Pigs” blog, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Click here to learn more about Eat Figs, Not Pigs.
Click here to follow on Facebook.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 loaf bread of choice, cut into 1" thick pieces (should make about 6 slices)
- 6 TBS Vegan butter
- Maple syrup, for serving
- 3 TBS sugar
- Strawberries, for serving
- Vegan coconut whip, for serving
- Powdered sugar, for garnishing
- In a shallow pan, mix together 1 cup non dairy milk, chickpea flour, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla extract.
- Soak bread on each side of the mixture for about 1-2 minutes
- In a non-stick pan on medium heat, melt 1 TBS butter for each slice of bread.
- Pan fry each slice until golden and crispy on the outside, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fruit, syrup coconut whip, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar
VEGAN VEGGIE OMELETTE
- 2/3 brick of medium firm tofu (approx. 1 cup crumbled)
- 1/2 C non-dairy milk (soy or almond)
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Vegetable of choice for filling (we used spinach, onions, mushrooms and vegan cheese such as Daiya shreds)
- Blend the batter ingredients together until very smooth.
- Heat a non-stick flat top or skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add a little bit of vegetable oil or vegan butter to the surface as well.
- Pour the omelette batter into the center and spread it out until it's about 1/4" thick .
- It will take about 3 to 4 minutes on the first side.
- You'll notice the batter being cooked through and getting darker in color around the perimeter of the omelette.
- At this point you can add the fillings to one side of the omelette.
- After 30 more seconds or so you can use a spatula and lift one side and fold it over to create a half moon shape.
- After another 30 seconds or so gently flip the omelette over on to the other side.
- Cover with a lid to allow the cheese to really melt well inside for another 2 to 3 minutes