MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Sanger man loses home after smoker catches fire

Sanger House Fire

A Sanger man was trying to prepare a special dinner for his wife-- but during his preparations, he accidentally burned his house to the ground.

Just after 11:00 A.M. Sanger Fire Department received a call of a house fire in the area of Kings Canyon and Newmark.

When firefighters arrived, they found the home nearly engulfed in flames. Firefighters say a smoker in the backyard started the fire.

He tried to put it out himself before crews arrived. Neighbors came to see what was smoking, but the man refused to leave his burning house. The neighbors then had to drag him and one of his dogs out of his home.

The other dog is still missing. Sanger Fire says the home is a complete loss. The Red Cross is helping the man.

The homeowner, a man in his late 70’s, was smoking a turkey in his backyard to take to his wife who is in a Nursing home. While he was cooking it, his grass caught on fire, then spread to his home.

We asked the homeowner what was next, and he said that he is going to the Nursing home to give his wife the bad news.

Trending