Great Day Kitchen, 9/26/17 - Vegan Ceviche / Alfredo Pasta
Chef Ashley Hankins, creator of the “Eat Figs, Not Pigs” blog, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Click here to learn more about Eat Figs, Not Pigs.
Click here to follow on Facebook.
Young Coconut Meat Ceviche
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- 2 cups coconut meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 TBS vegan fish sauce, optional
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¾ cup red onion, minced
- ¾ cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup El Pato (yellow can)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 TBS Tajin seasoning
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the lime juice and avocado
- Gently toss to ensure all the ingredients are fully incorporated
- Cover and let the ceviche marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (we recommend an hour)
- When you are ready to serve the ceviche, add the avocado and lime juice, toss gently
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste
- Serve cold and enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 / Cook Time: 15 minutes / Total Time: 30 minutes / Serving: 3-4
Creamy Cashew Alfredo Pasta
- 2 cups boiling water + ½ - 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 - Not Chick’n or vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound gluten free Fettuccine noodles of choice
- Broccoli, optional
- Spinach, optional
- Vegan Parmesan, optional
- Soak cashews in boiling water for at least thirty minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender, combine all the alfredo ingredients, adding water ¼ cup at a time, and blend until completely smooth and free of any clumps. Continue to add water until you reach the consistency of your liking (I added the entire cup). Set aside.
- Cook pasta noodles according to package directions
- While noodles are cooking, sauté vegetables
- Toss alfredo sauce with veggies and pasta noodles. Sprinkle with a bit of vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 15 minutes / Total Time: 45 min / Serving: 3-4