Great Day Kitchen, 7/25/17 - Tofu Scramble/Bang Bang Cauliflower
FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) —
Chef Ashley Hankins-Marchetti, creator of the “Eat Figs, Not Pigs” blog, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Click here to visit Chef Ashley's blog.
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 min
- Serves: 3-4
- Tortillas, for serving
- 8 oz (½ block) extra firm tofu
- 1 cup packed kale, chopped finely
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Green onion
- Hot Sauce
- Vegan Cheese
- In a small bowl, break tofu up into bite size pieces with the back of a fork or with your hands
- In a nonstick skillet on medium heat, cook bell peppers and onions until fragrant and the onions are slightly translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add tofu and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. The color and texture should resemble that of actual scrambled eggs.
- Add kale, cover, and saute until slightly wilted, about 5-7 minutes
- Add cherry tomatoes and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and begin building tacos. Add tofu scramble mixture to warmed tortillas and garnish with vegan cheese, green onion, cilantro, and hot sauce.
Bang Bang Cauliflower
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Serving: 6-8
- Oil, for frying
- Sliced habanero chilies, optional
- Sliced green onion, optional
Bang Bang Sauce
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- 2 TBS sweet chili sauce
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 small head (about 1 ½ pounds) cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
Bang Bang Sauce:
In a blender or by hand, mix all the ingredients until smooth (if you want a runnier consistency, you madd add water or unflavored, non-dairy milk by the tablespoon to thin out). Set aside until ready to serve.
- In one mixing bowl, add water, flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix until there are no clumps and the consistency is similar to that of pancake batter.
- In another bowl, add panko bread crumbs.
- Dip cauliflower pieces into flour batter, then coat with panko bread crumbs. Repeat this process until each piece is coated.
- On medium high heat, fry cauliflower until golden and crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, drizzle cauliflower with bang bang sauce and garnish with sliced habanero and green onion.