Great Day Kitchen, 3/27/18 - Tofu Benedict and TTLA Sandwich
Chef Ashley Hankins, creator of the “Eat Figs, Not Pigs” blog, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Click here to learn more about Eat Figs, Not Pigs.
Click here to follow on Facebook.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 4 TBS Vegan Butter, melted
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan
- 1 tsp Black Salt (Kala Namak) or 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- Dash of cayenne
- 1 brick extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 8 rounds or slices
- 1 tsp Black Salt (Kala namak) or 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TBS vegetable oil, divided
- 6 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 6 cups lasinato kale or spinach
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 slices vegan deli slices, optional
- 2 English muffins, split in half
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Micro greens, for garnish
- In a blender, combine almond milk, tofu, salt, nutritional yeast and turmeric.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and cayenne, blend until smooth.
- While the blender is still running, add melted butter slowly, blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with Tofu Benedict.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a bowl, combine asparagus and olive oil, tossing to coat. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes 2.
- While your asparagus is roasting, drain the tofu and pat dry of excess moisture. Cut into 8 rounds or slices.
- Season the tofu on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and coat the pan with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Pan fry tofu on each side until a golden crust forms, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and sauté the kale with a pinch of salt and pepper until just wilted and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add sliced tomatoes and fry on each side for about a minute. Remove and set aside.
- If you’re adding vegan deli slices, cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- Warm the Hollandaise and Toast English muffins.
- Top each half of the English muffins with kale, one tofu round, tomato, one vegan deli slice, and a generous dollop of Hollandaise.
- Garnish with micro greens and chives.
TTLA Sandwiches (Tempeh Tomato Lettuce Avocado)
- 1 - 8 oz Tempeh, cut into 1/4” thick pieces
- 3 TBS Tamari or soy sauce
- 3 TBS Apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 6 cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ciabatta Bread
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Tempeh Bacon
- Sliced tomato
- Romaine lettuce
- Dill pickle slices
- Sliced avocado
- In a shallow pan, combine Tamari, vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and smoked paprika. Whisk to combine.
- Marinate tempeh slices for at least 30 minutes (up to 6 hours), flipping halfway through if they’re not fully submerged.
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to a nonstick pan on medium high heat.
- Cook tempeh on each side until nice and browned, about 3-5 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined, set aside.
- Spread a generous amount of garlic aioli on each slice of toasted ciabatta bread.
- Layer bread with tempeh, avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles.
- Season with salt and pepper (optional).