Great Day Kitchen, 2/20/18 - Mushroom Risotto and Fennel Salad
FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) —
Chef Hillori Hansen, from Whole Foods, located in Fresno, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Fennel Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Parmesan
- 6 cups fresh mixed salad greens (butter lettuce, arugula, spinach)
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved into thin slices
- 5 green onion, chopped
- ½ cup, pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
Fennel Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tablespoon fennel seed, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon very hot water
- ½ to 1 cup avocado oil or EVOO
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients (except olive oil) in a blender; once mixed, slowly add oil until it emulsifies.
- In a salad bowl, combine mixed greens, shaved fennel, and green onions. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss. Sprinkle with Pomegranate seeds, shaved Parmesan, and toasted almonds.
- You can also serve individually on salad plates for a beautiful presentation.
Porcini and Asparagus Risotto with Parmigiano Reggiano (The King of Parmesan)
- 1 oz. porcini mushrooms
- 5 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (The King of Parmesan)
- ¼ to ½ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 4 cups broth in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms, Arborio rice, and heated broth to a Dutch oven or ovenproof dish. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, toss asparagus in EVOO with salt and pepper. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and place into the same oven for about 10 – 15 minutes or until asparagus is cooked through, but still has a nice crunch to the bite.
- Pull out asparagus and set aside. Separate a few asparagus tips for garnish.
- When rice is cooked, remove from oven and add Parmesan cheese, wine, butter, salt and pepper and stir for about 2 – 3 minutes until rice has a creamy texture. Add the asparagus and fold into the rice.
- Serve with a bit of parmesan cheese on the top and a few asparagus tips for garnish.