Great Day Kitchen, 10/17/17 - Butternut Squash Soup & Banana Bread
FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) —
Chef Hillori Hansen, from Whole Foods, located in Fresno, visited Great Day to prepare some delicious food.
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes (3 ½ lbs.)
- 3 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon curry (powder or paste)
- 1 can coconut milk or cream
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil and add onion and ginger, sautéing until tender.
- Add in butternut squash, broth and curry and simmer until squash becomes fork tender.
- With an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Add in the coconut milk at the end, along with salt and combine until heated through.
- Top with toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime if desired.
Nutty Banana Bread (Gluten, Grain & Dairy Free)
- 4 very ripe bananas (see note)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ cup cassava root flour (I use Otto’s)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment by oiling the pan and then laying down the parchment and oiling the parchment. This will allow you to pull out the banana bread with ease.
- Peel and mash bananas and combine with coconut sugar, olive oil and eggs.
- Add in vanilla and apple cider vinegar and whisk all together, then set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl and thoroughly mix together until well incorporated (almond flour can sometimes clump together, so make sure to break apart if necessary)
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold into the mixture.
- Add ½ cup pecans to the mixture.
- Pour into your loaf pan and top with the remaining pecans.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out mainly clean (crumbs are o.k.)
- Let loaf sit for about 5 minutes to cool, then remove from the pan with parchment and let cool completely.
- Cut into slices, serve and enjoy!!
Note: If you don’t have overly ripe bananas and you really have a craving for banana bread, try this method: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the bananas in their skins onto the baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes. Bananas will be black, but the inside will be delicious, sweet and gooey. Just cut off the ends of the banana and squeeze out the flesh. Use in your favorite banana bread recipe.