Merced Boy Drinks Cleaner, Dies In Tragic Accident
MERCED, Calif. (KMPH) —
A 2-year-old Merced boy died Friday after drinking a strong, caustic cleaner used for aluminum wheels.
The incident happened around 3:30 p.m. in the 1000 block of Childs Avenue, said the Merced County Sheriff's Department.
The boy was playing at an automotive shop when he became thirsty.
His grandma gave him a bottle she found on the floorboard of her husband's truck filled with what she believed to be water. Instead, the bottle was filled with cleaner.
The boy started choking. His grandparents rushed him to Children's Hospital Central California where he was pronounced dead.
Detectives conducted an investigation with the family and say that it appears the incident was nothing more than a "tragic accident."